Monday, October 12, 2015

Parleying with my Progeny

     Anyone who really knows me, knows that I am a language geek. And of all the languages I have studied and experienced, there is none that equals Irish, called Gaeilge in the native tongue. Genetically speaking, I am 75% Irish, and 87.5% Celtic. I have studied Irish since I was a little boy, and though it was very difficult to do, I have reached a point in my life where I believe I am adequate in my ability to read and understand the language.

     But one of the biggest hurdles to Irish, is that it is definitely NOT a language that you can easily speak based on what you read. In Croatian, every letter makes a certain sound, and if you see it, you say it. It is very simple to read and understand. Gaeilge, however, has a complex set of rules, and true to the Irish nature, is very uncertain. Just like English, there are what seems like an infinite number of exceptions to rules; the only way to really understand how to listen to, and speak, Gaeilge is to model native speakers.

      That has always been a problem, even in this day and age where the internet is brimming with literally billions of files. Unfortunately, the very people who should be speaking and teaching the language - the Irish themselves - seem to be willing to let the language die from neglect. This isn't a problem unique to Gaeilge, certainly, but it is the situation.

      This leads me to my other favorite obsession. My favorite book to read is Cosslett Ó Cuinn's translation of the New Testament, called "An Tiomna Nua (ár dTiarna agus ár Slánaitheora Íosa Chríost). The language in this translation is magical; it is based on spoken Irish of 1950's Donegal. The way he uses the language to make the New Testament come alive is unbelievable. I have spoken with his son on several occasions, and he told me that many people tell him that. His father also spoke Aramaic, Hebrew and Greek, so his use of terms and translations is also fantastic.

        I have searched and searched for the existence of a native speaker reading an Tiomna Nua so that I could learn to pronounce exactly like a native. But that type of support doesn't exist, to my knowledge. So I decided, do I really have to speak Gaeilge like a native, or should I speak Gaeilge like an American - speaking a second language? My son's mother, who is Croatian, used to tell me that I spoke Croatian with an American accent, like it was something about which to be ashamed. I have heard that from Egyptians and Iraqis when I spoke Arabic, Parisians when I spoke French, Darmstadters when I spoke German, and hispanic friends when I speak Spanish. But for me, that is a compliment, not a criticism. I am not a native, so why should I have to speak like someone I am not? To me, there is nothing sexier than a pretty woman speaking English with a foreign accent - it adds to the allure; maybe somewhere out there is a beautiful native Irish speaker who will find my reading to be irresistible - I can only hope!

        So, I decided to take matters in my own hands. I have begun to record myself reading an Tiomna Nua, with the goal of creating a work that can be shared by anyone who has the book in their possession - they can hear what Cosslett Ó Cuinn wrote, learn Irish and follow the word of God as well. The best thing is that you don't actually have to own the Tiomna Nua; I also took part in a transcription project with the website bible.com - which makes the bible accessible in hundreds of endangered languages. We have transcribed all the Gospels in Ó Cuinn's Tiomna Nua; and though only Luke is now posted, within a few weeks, we hope that all four Gospels will be available. Ó Cuinn's Tiomna Nua is based on the New Revised Version, so you can easily follow along. I am starting with my favorite, The Gospel of John. Even in English, it is very powerful, and in Irish, it is even more so. My short-term goal is to record all four Gospels, which to me are the most important, because they contain the actual teachings and words of Jesus - or Íosa, as you will have to learn. Eventually, I want to record all the books of an Tiomna Nua.

       Another side benefit, as I can see it, is that someday, my sons, or their children, or maybe even their children will maybe be interested in hearing their ancestor actually speak from the grave. And to do so, they may be encouraged to learn WHAT I am saying - and then I can hope that I will be able to share my love of the language and the words I am speaking with my descendents!

         So, without further ado, here is Chapter 1, the Gospel according to John - An Soiscéal de réir Eoin - Caibidil a hAon!

You can read along in Irish by accessing this pdf document:

Eoin 1 pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment