Monday, July 22, 2013

Time


        Monday, July 22, 2013 at 2330...I got to school this morning at 6:45, and for some reason, things were really dragging.  I taught two classes, and thought that lunch time was closing in. But I looked down at my watch and it was only 9:30! Has that ever happened to you? I said to myself that time was standing still. But what does that mean?

         Well, I started thinking about what it would mean for time to actually stand still, and how to do it. So I came home and looked into it.



         I found that time actually isn't a concrete concept. Time depends on speed. Not like meth, but velocity. If I was standing still in my class watching the clock and someone else passed by me, we would be seeing a different time. And the faster he went, the slower he would be experiencing time as compared to me. Eventually, as he reached the speed of light, he would literally stand still in a time sense. He'd never get lunch.

         Of course, the problem is that velocity requires energy. For him to walk past me, will require him to eat something to give him the energy to do so. And for him to increase his speed past his own ability to walk, it will require more energy to increase his speed. And energy requires more weight. And the more weight, the more propulsion required to move that weight. And the more weight, the more energy...and so on and so forth.

         What happens is that at the very speed of light, he would require an infinite amount of propulsion. And to get an infinite amount of propulsion, he would require an infinite amount of energy. And energy, being derived from an object, would weigh an infinite amount.

         What is infinity? Infinity is not what we normally think of - no matter what I think of you, I can't love you infinity times 7. Because infinity is not a number - it is a concept. It implies limitlessness. This can be on a grand scale, like the universe; or on a impossibly minute scale, like in an atom. You can't add or subtract or multiply or divide infinity, yet it exists.  But at the same time, it is beyond our ability to comprehend.

         So, next time, I will just wait for my lunch. It may seem like it's taking forever, but I can be assured it isn't. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment